Thursday 16 May 2013

SOUTH AFRICA HERE I COME!

16/05/2013
THIS DATE WILL GO DOWN IN HISTORY.

Well it's been a long time coming but my placement details arrived today! Finally! And I really couldn't be happier. I have been bouncing of the walls and squealing like an idiot all day.

I have been placed in Durbanville Children's Home, CAPE TOWN! Incredible. I know I originally asked for the whole rural, living in a mud hut, feeding on crops kind of thing but I am over the moon. Durbanville is still classed as rural, but it's beyond me how you can say that when Cape Town is a 25 minute drive away. At least I know I could never be bored, eh?! I'm pretty sure I could get used to rolling hills and a view of the stunning table mountain every day. 

To get you educated on the children's home, here is what they say: 

"We can make all make a difference in the lives of traumatized children. Many children are neglected and in great danger due to poverty, crime, violence, drug abuse and the general disintegration of moral values and family life in many South Africa communities. Durbanville Children's Home provides a safe haven for these children in order to protect them from physical and emotional abuse." 

My main duties will include working with children that have behavioral difficulties and helping out with homework clubs. Hopefully I will be able to start some art/drama clubs for fun! I should also be able to set up a secondary project in a poorer area. I will occasionally work night shifts too, that sounds quite tough but I'm sure I will get used to it! I will be living in a flat within the compound with about 3 other Project Trust girls....my partners that I can't wait to meet on training! We will have to cook and clean for ourselfs: sounds great fun! Oh, and a bonus, we have a pool.

Stunning Cape Town

How close we are!


One of the most exciting things was to find out my flight date...22nd August! It hasn't been confirmed yet but it's very likely. I will be returning to sunny Scotland on 15th August 2014, woow. 99 days to go.

It's not all sparkles and sunshine however, there is a lot of paper work! Before the 15th June I must have had a TB injection, Yellow Fever and a Chest X-ray. These are all part of the very rigorous visa application. I also need to have my doctor tick some boxes to say I'm all good to go.

Included in the email was fifteen attachments of information. Yes, 15! I must say, one I was most excited about was the "Clothing and Equipment List" but come on...two pairs of pajamas for a full year?! I'm sure I will manage ;).

Unfortunately I can't really find any pictures of the children's home itself. You will just need to wait a couple of months! I really am so happy and can't wait to spend my year in Durbanville.





No comments:

Post a Comment