Sunday 21 July 2013

TRAINING

16/07/13
Today was the day my wall of denial crumbled into a million pieces. I feel like a ticking time bomb - this is real. - this is a mere fraction of the emotionally driven letter I wrote to myself. Writing yourself a letter can be so beautiful, it's personal and a solid connection to so many memories. Our desk officer Dave will give us our letters in February, when he comes to visit us in South Africa. We will have been at our placements for almost 6 months. In this moment it feels extremely private, but I'm sure in seven months time i'll be happy to share it!

21/07/13
Inspiring, exciting, ridiculous, hilarious, educational & of course that bit terrifying.

Our training course was from 15th - 19th June. 36 South Africa volunteers, 2 Hong Kong volunteers and Malaysians boost that number to 62. There was so many volunteers that some had to sleep on the floor, or even better - outside in a tent! (ha ha) The majority of volunteers arrived in Oban on the 14th, ready for a night in backpackers. After having a tasty meal with everyone and meeting my lovely partners, we were all giddy and prepared for the week ahead. 

Niamh, Rachael, Anna and me. Partners for Durbansville!
Our ferry journey to Coll took around 3 hours. Time passed quickly with rough - diving over the table and shoving people out of the way kind of rough - games of spoons. I was so excited to be back on the island, it is incredibly beautiful and isolated.

Spoons - Definitely my favourite car game!

The beautiful Hebridean Center at night!

Laura with our new Project Trust hoody. Just outside the Center!
Beautiful and Misty Coll!
After a nostalgic ride in Project Trust's land rover to the Hebridean Center, we were straight into lessons. I won't go into everything in detail, surprises are more fun! Throughout the week everyone lives in the PT center. I was roomed with my partners - Rachael, Anna and Niamh. We also had the lovely and very Irish Nadine in our room, who unfortunately had to sleep on the floor! We were pleased to have running water in our dorm, other's were lucky to get a dribble. With so many volunteers brushing teeth and having showers at the same time, you won't be surprised to hear that we ran out of hot water and water altogether - multiple times! Everyone took this lightly - it adds to the experience. 

Our dorm room!

One of the most exciting things for me was meeting the country group - especially my partners! 

The South Africa Volunteers with our Desk Officer Dave to the Right!

We also got along great with the Malaysia and Hong Kong volunteers. It was sad to say goodbye knowing that we won't see them until Debriefing. Have a sweet time overseas guys! 

Now, for anyone that knows me from school, this will shock you. I TAUGHT A DRAMA CLASS! As part of our social care training, we had to plan and hold a "club" aimed at a specific age. I grouped with my partner Anna and together we held a very successful and very fun drama class. Everyone else doing social care had to pretend they were between 9-13 years old and participate in our class. It was so much fun. I really hope I get to start my own little group with the children at Durbansville. It was also incredibly fun joining in with the other clubs - art, spelling, dancing and oh dear - running. (thanks Fraser and Lewis) 

The social side to training was brilliant. From swimming in the sea (in the rain) to dancing our hearts out on the last night - you definitely have a great opportunity to bond with the group.

Rachael, me, Diarmid, Lewis, Anna and Dale during the Ceilidh!

Dancing away at the Ceilidh!

It wasn't all fun and giggles however, training is a very serious and intense course. Diseases, infections, sex, drugs, alcohol, child abuse, behavioral problems, bereavement, harassment, naivety, riots and violence were few of the serious sessions covered. The shock factor certainly settled in throughout the week. Although these sessions are terrifying, some of them are inevitable. We learned to look through them with a steady mind and a strong heart.

We were very lucky to spend Nelson Mandela Day at training. Two of our Volunteers Tom and Jess sang "Shosholoza". It was the most  beautiful version, i'm not the only one that got emotional! CLICK HERE to view Project Trusts article on Mandela Day.

Our Country Group supporing Mandela Day!

Me and Lewis were the last two standing in Oban. After our train to Glasgow and a short walk to the bus station, it was hard to say bye. Knowing that was the last step before standing in the airport ready for our flight was a little scary. Especially now that...I HAVE MY FLIGHT TICKETS.

Lewis in the Rank Room - where things get serious!

The most important thing is that I now feel prepared for South Africa. It has finally settled in that I leave in a mere 30 days. It hasn't quite settled in that I will be gone for a full year.

In time.

#ThisisProjectTrust








No comments:

Post a Comment