Monday 29 July 2013

How to pack for a year in under 20kgs...

29/07/13
Time is ticking and blog posts are plenty. You can't blame me, I only have 22 days left in Scotland. 22 days left in the UK. 22 DAYS LEFT ON THE CONTINENT!

The topic of this post is so very exciting - packing for South Africa! Never mind the year ahead, packing is the greatest challenge I have come across. Although our flights to Abu Dhabi and onward to South Africa generously allow a whopping 30kgs, our inward flights don't. So we have a very cringe worthy weight allowance of 20kgs. I'm going to keep things simple and list everything I plan to pack into my lovely 85 litre rucksack. I know this might not be for some, but I would have loved to come across a what-to-pack list on current blogs. If your still reading and haven't dramatically eye rolled, sighed and closed the page already, enjoy!

I have already learned some lessons in packing through training. I packed far to much and didn't need more than half of what I did. Although I packed too much, I also managed to forgot important things. Put it this way, drip drying is not nice. Neither is wearing socks all week because you wore your one and only pair of shoes into the sea. 

The following isn't definite yet, I'll alter it once I have actually packed, I'm sure it won't all be coming. Here goes! 

Clothes
Socks x 15
Pants x 15
Bra x 5
Below the Knee Skirt x 2
Maxi Dress x 3
Shorts x 2
Comfy Trousers x 4
T-shirts x 5
Cardigan x 2
Hoody x 1

Shoes
Hiking Boots x 1
Comfy Sandals x 1
Flip Flops x 1
Converse x 1
Smart Shoes x 1

First Aid Kit
First Aid Kit Case x 1
Scissors x 1
Safety Pins x 10
Assorted Bandages x 10
Assorted Plasters x 60
Sticky Gauze Tape x 1
Imodium x 1 Pack
Anti-Histamine x 1 Pack
Anti-Fungal Cream x 1
Antibiotics x 2 Pack
Surgeons Gloves x 1
Diorolyte (Hydration) x 6 Pack
Thermometer x 1
Insect Repellent x 2
After Bite x 1
Ringworm Cream x 1
Athletes Foot Cream x 1
Tweezers x 1

Other
Camera
Memory Cards x 6
Memory Sticks x 5
Underwater Camera Case
Pack of Cards
Assorted Games & Activities
Basic Toiletries and Toothbrush x 4
Mosquito Net x 1
Water Proof Jacket x 1

I will add and remove things as time goes by. I am going to pack as little as possible - only the bare necessities. I may also bring my netbook, it can be useful for my particular project. Please read about my placement HERE. You can also read about my training course HERE.








No comments:

Post a Comment