Monday 16 September 2013

Feather's and fame...

16/09/2013

I apologise, this blog is a little late. I prefer writing when feelings are still raw but I'll try my best. I have loads to write about so I'll split it between two blogs and keep it short and sweet, enjoy!

Hout Bay Market
I'm in love with African markets already, but they are too much temptation. So far I have been to one in Soweto, Hermanus and now Hout Bay. It was roughly one hour in the car from Durbanville. The market started at 6pm and we stayed until about 9pm. It was incredible, there was a live band, tons of delicious food stalls and so many individual stalls with a million  hand crafted goods. 

I had a purple woollen braid tied into my hair, as well as a purple feather. I also bought myself a chocolate brownie but let's not tell anyone. I have a new Hout Bay bracelet to add to my collection. I got a little gift for my Brother, a bracelet made by a Xhosa woman, similar to one of mine with rasta-coloured beads. I'm counting on him not reading this blog. If you do, surprise! I bought my little sister a gift too. A man wrote her name on a tiny grain of rice, he then sealed it in a glass heart and put it on a cord. I hope she likes it, it's very sweet! 

I can't believe I almost forgot to mention the car situation. This explains it.

For an hour...

Sandya got her hair braided!

My feather and braid

The Lady's Tea
The past weekend has been a very busy one for the Children's Home. Also a hectic, stressful, terrifying, eye opening one...but we will get to that in the next blog.

Most, if not all of the children attended a huge "sports day". The DCH team came 3rd out of about fifteen teams. I am very proud of them all, especially for the way they reacted towards third place, usually they achieve first place! They are all full of life and pride, it's incredible.

Most of the volunteers worked at the sports day. I, however had the privilege of helping with a fundraising event called the "Lady's Tea". Situated on a beautiful wine farm with a great atmosphere and some incredible people, I feel so lucky to have been a part of it. Our job was to welcome guests, give out favours, help some very famous South African's carry very cool instruments into the building and of course, look after the 3 kids that were also helping.

We were pleased to see a spot at one of the tables, for us! The food was delicious. The music was incredible. It was a really good day. I hope the home managed to raise lot's of money, there was definitely some very generous, wealthy people at the event. Please you tube Karen Zoid, she might just be my next favourite thing. I'll post about this weeks traumatic events when the shock wears off. It definitely triggered culture shock so will be fascinating to write about.

Me and Soli Philander

I love driving around here, it's so beautiful.

One of our kids all dressed up

With a famous South African Opera Singer and Rockstar

The fundraising event

Delishh

South Africans do everything with style

Our nearest township

Beautiful Durbanville




No comments:

Post a Comment