Sunday 29 September 2013

Karaoke, Kaapstad and Go-Karts

28/09/13
Yesterday morning I visited a lovely market on one of our wine farms. I treated myself to a couple of things and also got a present to send my mum back home. Being on a wine farm, we couldn't refuse a glass of wine. Yes we could, it was awful. We had a very tasty parma ham- mozarella - pesto panini to make up for it.

Last night I attended a Karaoke Fundraiser for the Children's Home. It was an event for volunteers and staff to have a little fun while raising money. The tickets were R25 and we entered a raffle for R10. On entering, I was thinking no-way-on-earth-am-I-going-to-sing. A couple of hours later and there I am, singing along to Where is the Love by the Black Eye'd Peas. We even attempted to rap. Never in my life have I sang for a Karaoke. It was absolutely awful...but it was fun. I had a huge introduction to "Africa Time" last night, the event was running about 3 hours late!

After the Karaoke, some of the volunteers decided to go to Long Street. It was my first ever insight to the City's night life. It was a very fun night. We had no money but proved you can have a good time without having to drink. We were lucky enough to get a VIP stamp into one of the clubs called Jo'Burg. It was strange being in a room full of suited men and leather couches...Long Street is famous for it's night life but also for it's endless muggings and druggings. You definitely need to have wits and good instincts.

This morning I went GO KARTING! It was so much fun and  I'm definitely going to go again. I've bruised my knuckle from crashing into the same place twice...but it was worth it! I only got the "Dangerous Driving" flag waved at me once. Success. 

Our travel for today

weeeeeeeeeee

Impatient because I crashed

Add caption


 After Go-Karting, we went to Cape Town's Waterfront. This was my first proper visit into Cape Town. It was such an incredible atmosphere. We ate lunch and listened to some amazing live bands playing. There were bubbles everywhere and confetti was shot out of cannons from all directions. I got a little bracelet to add to my vastly growing collection.




Cape Town, Hermanus, Plett, Soweto, Hout Bay

Bubbles

Cape Town waterfront





Squeeze in






I've realised that I talk about my adventures more than my work. There is a very good reason for that - work bleeds me dry! I always fall asleep as soon as i've finished. It's the holidays for the children so the shifts have been very confusing this week. On Monday night (straight after I got back from Plettenburg) and Tuesday night I had nightshift. I was working in House 4 with the teenage boys. It was extremely tiring. We worked from 7pm-7am, it was crazy. I couldn't sleep all day on Tuesday so I felt even worse on the second nightshift. I made up for my lack of sleep by staying in bed until 4pm on Wednesday. I'm working dayshift 7am-7pm tomorrow. My main area of work recently has been with the teenage girls, I really enjoy working with them now that I have gotten to know them all better. They can be very difficult as they are at the peak of the teenage-attitude phase.

No comments:

Post a Comment