Sunday 1 September 2013

First shifts and realisations

01/09/13
We have been told multiple times DO NOT PANIC.

I am extremely proud to say... I have not panicked. Since I arrived I have been oddly calm. I feel slightly numb. Hopefully it's normal and not shock. I have had only one teary moment. I am pleasantly working my way through the days. My first shift was a little odd, it wasn't quite a proper shift because I was just learning how to do things from another volunteer. On the bright side it was a chance to learn all the kids names before I started for real.

My first proper shift was BRILLIANT! I didn't want to leave at the end of the day. I have been placed in "Happy Feet". This is where the youngest children at the home stay. I look after the girls, who range from about 18 months - 6 years old. They are all so, so sweet. However, they can be a little cheeky! I'll paint a picture for you, here is the average day...

My alarm clock goes off at 05:00. I switch it off, fall asleep and wake up at 05:50. In a panic, I throw clothes on, brush my teeth, tie my hair up and bolt out the door. It's pouring down so I run all the way to House 9, splashing in puddles all the way. I head upstairs and the children are still sleeping. They all start moaning and waking when the light goes on. 5 minutes later, they are all running about. Slowly but surely, nappies are changed and the girls are all clothed. They then brush teeth and head down stairs. Breakfast goes swiftly enough, the children say a prayer in Afrikaans and I spoon feed the youngest. After breakfast I wash, dry and put away the dishes. The children watch TV. Some children leave for school and I take two of the girls to Kindergarten. I spend the day playing with the girls...colouring, singing, reading books, letting them pull on my hair and climb all over me.

There have been two very special moments that I'm going to share. Both almost had me in tears, they made me feel like my presence is worthwhile. 

The first involves one child, he doesn't like to play with the other children. He always seems to hide away or sit on the stairs. I decided to sit with him one day. I tried talking to him but he turned away and looked at the wall, in silence. I asked him his favourite song and he looked at me, smiled the sweetest smile and then turned away again. I was going to leave him alone, until he started singing...

"I love you, you love me, we're a happy family..."

I sang with him and he was smiling so much he could barely sing. It was so precious! Hopefully his confidence will grow and grow during his time here. It's incredible to see someone come out of their shell.

The other moment was so incredible. It had been a very hectic, loud and stressful morning. Me and Rachael were washing the dishes and chatting away so much we didn't know what the kids were up to in the next room. We assumed they were play-fighting, drawing on books or screaming at each other. We walked into the room to find every single child, fast asleep on the floor. They were all so peaceful. I could swear they were all breathing at the same time. We both sat down, Rachael across from me. She held out her Project Trust hoody to show the "#ThisisProjectTrust" on the sleeve. She whispered "This IS Project Trust" and nearly had me in tears! It was such a beautiful moment. We must have just sat there in silence for more than half an hour.

Although the Children's home may seem like it has everything, I think our presence is really important. Besides, they don't have everything. The home recently sent out an urgent appeal for warm blankets. I can now see why, It can be absolutely freezing at night. To think how cold I have been, I can't imagine how cold a small child would feel.

I have been off work today as I was very ill yesterday. It's nothing serious, I think food poisoning. I'm feeling much better today. I have volunteered to help with an event tomorrow evening. It's an annual meeting to celebrate the children's home.

Beside's work, a lot has been happening. I have been into the town a lot, we have a local market. I have also got a years membership to the gym. I think it's necessary with all the fatty and very sugary foods we eat. I am a little ashamed to say we have been out for dinner twice, but one of those times was our first night, we were celebrating! There is a lot to do in Durbanville but to be honest I feel a little Claustrophobic. On my next day off I am going to go a walk to the nearest Wine Farm. We are completely surrounded by Wine Farms and Fields, you forget that Durbanville is only a small cluster amongst them.

I do all of my own hand washing and really enjoy it. If i'm ever feeling a little off or unwell, it's great to take your mind off things. I have cooked for myself too, but it's easier and cheaper to eat the food we are given. 

I have had three wonderful saviours since I arrived: Penknife, string, baby socks.

Penknife - As soon as I arrived I wanted to unpack but my bedside table had no handles and would not open. I managed to hack into it with my penknife. I then created a hole with the penknife and tied some string through it. Wala - I have a working bedside table with handles. I have also had to open numerous tins with the tin opener on my penknife. I've used it for cutting string a lot too.

String - For my bedside table handles. I have also created a washing line in my room where I can hang up all of my drying pants and socks.

Baby Socks - Mum, you are a genius. Before I left, my mum stitched baby socks into my trousers and bras. They act as perfect little hidden pockets where I can keep all of my money. They work brilliantly, I haven't left anywhere with a purse on me since I arrived - ideal!

I haven't got many pictures yet, but here you go!

It's always raining!

Treat!

Steakhouse!

Our own little shelf

Good One Niamh!

Africa!

My Project Trust T-shirt out to DRY

My hand washing

bonus

We all have our own plate

My Cosy Scottish Corner

1 comment:

  1. just read your story.. good luck to you and your partner,you will both do a brilliant job and thank you with sharing your story it means a lot to me...my daughter has been accepted to go South Africa in 2014.I wish you all the best and will look forward to reading more about your experience.take care

    ReplyDelete