Friday 30 August 2013

Landing in Cape Town, facing my fate...

25.08.13
The journey between Johannesburg and Cape Town went swiftly. It was very sad saying bye bye to the Project Trust volunteers but hopefully i'll see them at Christmas. Some set off for a long bus journey, some only had a short drive. Me, Rachael, Niamh and Anna flew from Johannesburg. The moment we were left alone together, everything felt more real. There was no one else to distract us, just us, as it will be for the next year. 

The flight was very exciting, I absolutely love the view over Johannesburg. I was sleeping most of the time, so it was a shock when I looked out the window to see greenery and snow capped mountains. We were landing in Cape Town!

Leaving Jo'burg!

Niamh and Anna

Leaving beautiful Johannesburg

Cape Town!


After a very, very long and worrying wait for our cling-film-wrapped-cacoon-looking  luggage, we entered Cape Town with a statement, slo-mo running through the door with our bag trollys. We were met by Linda and Lisa, two of the German Volunteers from DCH. They drove us to the Childrens home in one of the mini-buses, the journey was about 20 minutes. I haven't seen the centre of Cape Town yet. I'm hoping to visit soon, I really want to see Table Mountain.

Driving to Durbanville



Arriving at the home was incredible...but also crazy. The place is huge! We were given a quick tour by Linda and Lisa and the whole time I was thinking "nope, won't remember that, I'll never find this place, what's it called? where are we?" But instead of asking, I smiled a big happy smile and continued walking. I can now find my way around the home, things are progressing!

The younger children would introduce themselves and want a hug. The much older ones would shout "Hello, Auntie" and wave. The teenage girls were a little more complicated, most would look away or just watch us. However, that is how teenage girls act all over the world, not just right here right now in South Africa. Some are very bubbly and want to talk but the majority seem a little wary of us. I don't blame them, we are all unfamiliar white faces from Britain.

The next stop was the best stop, our bedrooms! Anna lives in "House 9" where the youngest girls also stay, she has one roomate. Rachael lives in "Back Kitchen", she will have 3 roomates. I feel very lucky living in an area called "Flat 2". There are two bedrooms, a bathroom, a small kitchen and a living area. I have one roomate but unfortunately she will be leaving soon. In the other room, Niamh shares with Lisa and Katharina. I feel very comfortable in my room now, I tried to make it feel like home. 

My handwashing! I tried to make the UK with my photos

We decided to go out for dinner to celebrate our arrival. It was nice to see Durbanville's town for the first time. Me, Rachael, Niamh, Anna, Katharina, Linda and Lisa went to the Beer Garden for Pizza. It was very good. 

That night we met the other volunteers. Altogether there are about 20 German volunteers, one French, one Swiss, two Scottish and four English. Everyone is great and new(ish) to the home, so I will be spending my whole year with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment