Friday 1 March 2013

March, Mandela and Rabies...

01/03/13
February has now come and gone, but it didn't fly by like January. Don't get me wrong... it still feels like my selection course was yesterday! Thankfully, February was a much more productive month - I raised a total of £955, the most I have ever raised in one month. To break it down, £55 came from my Cake Sale, £100 came from my Brother (for making him a cheese toastie, see previous posts) and then a wonderful £800 came from Charitable Trust No.6. Very happy month! I also won a competition for a bunch of Beautiful Creatures goodies (Signed by Alden and Alice). Maybe February is my lucky month...

At the last Project Trust coffee evening, the film "Invictus" was recommended to me. I have now watched it twice and it's a really good film. Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman are brilliant in it too. I have bought the book "Playing the Enemy", which the film was set around. I have been educating myself on South Africa history recently, especially around the Apartheid. 


"Nelson Mandela and the Game that made a Nation" It really is that. It is so amazing how Mandela changed the way a nation thinks through something they are passionate about - the South African Springboks. I hope I get the chance to see a game while I am over there! I recommend both the book and film to everyone.

The shot of Mandela and the captain of the Springboks

I also got Nelson Mandela: The Long Walk to Freedom. It is a massive book that I am yet to start but I've heard it's a book and a half. I would like to add the poem "Invictus" by William Ernest Henley. The film is named after the poem, which Mandela read everyday in his prison cell. 
"Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.


In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.



Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.



It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul."


-

I have now visited the Doctor regarding my Inoculations  I have already had two at school, so the ones I need to get are: Typhoid, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Rabies. To my surprise, my doctor told me he worked in South Africa for 6 years and can in fact speak Zulu... how fascinating! The world is a small place, I have met about five South African's since I started fundraising, it is incredible.

At first my face lightened at the thought of four injections instead of 6. That was until I found out two of those injections come in a course of 3. So in the end, I have 8 injections to get. I am also yet to hear about the country specific injections...the joy! I have my prescription so I'll be off to the chemist soon. 

That's the end of another post. The more I learn about South Africa and it's people, the more I can't wait to go. I am more excited everyday! Car boot sale tomorrow at The Salvation Army, Saltcoats, 10am-2pm.

TOTAL £4800




No comments:

Post a Comment